Monday, March 06, 2006

The Entry Door



Finally completed installation of entry door. Since the shipping container only has two huge trucklike doors that locks only from the outside, it was necessary to add an entry door that has the capability to lock from the inside for security. This could be done by either cutting a door on the side of the container, or adding a recessed door inside the container. I chose the recessed door option.
My idea was to add a sliding glass door that extended from wall-to-wall in front of the existing container doors, to provide lots of light and alleviate the boxed-in feeling of a small container. As soon as the container arrived, I began shopping for both new and used doors. A used door about this size could not be found. A standard door closest to the size I needed was 7'6" which I was told was too large for the opening in the container. To get a door of the exact size required a custom order which was ruled out - much too expensive. I then began shopping for a 6' door. I found a new cheap one a Home Depot for $350, which when delivery($125), installation($350), building framing for door($300) amounted to over $1100. I decided that was too much for a cheap door.
My desire was still for a sliding door even though they are less energy efficient, and are more prone to problems. However, I began considering swinging doors which are much more energy efficient, and have better locks for security, even though a swinging door takes up more space if it swings "in". My requirements for the door were: (1) glass for light, (2) screen for ventilation, (3) interior lock for security. I looked at commercial doors (no screens!), modular home or RV doors (very flimsy!), and regular storm doors (only swings out, which I anticipate could interfere with the exterior container doors).
I finally found a swinging door that fit my requirements. It is a prehung stong metal swinging door with combo built-in window and screen, at Lowes in Las Cruces. Unlike the sliding door, it was small enough to fit on the cargo rack of my car (no delivery fee!).
It was more difficult than what I anticipated, but I finally found someone local to install the door.
It looks great!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The door looks good. We're still following your progress.
Mary Jo and Doug

Anonymous said...

Hello Carolyn from Jack in Estes Park. My hat's off to you. Like I told, I like my creature comforts too much to do what you are doing.

letterboxes said...

I always suggest taking a photograph of the front of your house and then compare the doors available to the front of the property, you can do this using a computer program such as Photoshop or you can print out your photograph and door choices and hold them against each other to get a good idea of what your home will look like.