Monday, September 25, 2006

Door, Floor, Water Tank, etc

After a week, I have accomplished a few things even though it seems like a snails pace to me.

The door that I finally got installed last spring still needed to be weatherproofed. I got a can of spray foam to fill in the gaps. My inexperience with this material was evident. As I sprayed the foam, it had a mind of its own. It would not stay in the gap like it was supposed to. Curles of foam was flying in the wind every which way. I tried to catch some of it. The result in the end was a gap that looked like a dog fight had taken place in it.

The floor of the container is not finished hardwood. It is nailed plywood with exposed recessed scews. The scew holes were collecting dust like crazy. I filled the screw holes with wood filler. I needed to decide what to do with the floor. Should I cover with carpet - no it would collect even more dust. What about topping with hardwood flooring - too expensive. Or kitchen tile - no still expensive and too much work. Considering the mess I made of the spray foam, I am not willing to take on any task involving skill. A $5 spray can is a lot different from hundreds of dollars invested in do-it-yourself flooring. I finally decided to just get a can of combination floor primer/sealer/paint. That will be a task I take on this week. The paint required 3 days to completely dry. I will need to do the job in two sections since I have stuff in the container to be moved around. Stay tuned.

I finally removed the shipping wrap from the water tank and modified a tarp to cover the tank. It looks like it was made for the tank! I felt good about that. The water tank still has not been used. It needs a spigot to fit the bulk head fitting. I searched for the item at Walmart, Kmart, and all the plumbing stores in town with no success. The last place I visited today was an RV store thay may have it but the lady manning the store was not familiar with the item. I will return there after she "talks to her husband" who was not there today. In the meantime I have been going to the State Park for showers.

I will also need to spread some gravel from the road to the container. I don't want to take a chance on sinking into the soft ground with a full water tank. I will pick up PVC piping once I have completed the flooring. So much to still do.

No comments: