Monday, October 02, 2006

Shoestring Thief

Last week I made a bit of progess with making the container homelike. I painted the floor, set up the storage system (including the steel shelves, totes, and garment rack). I added an inch and a half to the platform for the shower stall. Also set up the homemade pot-in-pot fridge and homemade toilet. Finally unpacked the car of its contents and arranged them in the storage space. I was opposed to carpeting initially, but after walking on the cold floor in my stocking feet, I compromised and bought two small indoor/outdoor rugs (4'x6' which I cut to make a 2'x12' runner in the center of the container, and a 2'x3' in the shower/toilet area).

I'm having problems with the table I bought last spring. One to the legs has caked paint in the screw thread holes. I could sent the leg back to the manufacturer and WAIT 4-6 weeks for a new part. First I will take it to a mechanic and see if they can clear the threads as suggested by an auto parts store.

I still have not gotten an bed. I have been sleeping on the floor in my sleeping bag. It is not as uncomfortable as it may sound. Under the sleeping bag and thick comforter, I was quite confortable even though the thermometer read 40 degrees F in the container at 6:30 am this morning. It warms up quickly once the sun comes up. By 8:30 am, it was 60 degrees in the container. As you may guess, the container is still uninsulated.

The tasks scheduled for this week is to begin work on setting up the sink, shower stall and drainage pipes.

There has been a bit of mystery happening this week. After I painted the floor, I take my shoes off and leave them outdoors before entering the container. The first night I left my shoes outdoors and discovered a shoestring completely gone on one shoes and part to the string on the other shoes chewed off. I wondered what happened. I put an old replacement shoesting in the shoe. The next night I decided to leave my shoes outdoors again to see what would happen. This time the replacement shoestring is almost completely gone, and the other shoestring chewed on more such that it could not be tied. I had to replace the shoestring in both shoes this time. The mystery continues. I have not figured this one out yet. I don't know if I will leave my shoes outdoors overnight again. I am running out of shoestrings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn
Janet & I are at Vada & Al's house in Loveland CO & enjoyed reading your latest update. Do you need a shoestring shipment?
Ginger

Anonymous said...

Carolyn:

Maybe it's some type of animal that has a shoestring fetish.

Love,
Eleanor

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays, Carolyn

I missed telling you goodbye this summer but am enjoying reading about your progress.

Naples Nancy